Thursday, April 24, 2014

On the threshold of number thirteen and the carefree number eight

They ask me- Why ,what, where ...how, and incessantly bug me with questions about anything and everything. Some of which I am prepared for, “ Adi - Mamma, what are the fourth and the fifth dimensions?”, and some of which I am not prepared for, “Aaru(while watching a movie)- Why is he covering his ‘main point’ with his hat?(as a woman came out of the pool in a bikini)”.They are my Brats!
They never cease to amaze me with their hilarious antics- “Aaru- mamma woh dekho ek phatta hua kauua”;  their witty comments –Aaru once announced “papa is potty two(42) and mummy is tatti five(35)”, I found that very funny; their insatiable appetite – “Mummy Bhook”, after every five minutes and sometimes even when the mouth is stuffed with something; and their humane nature – they want to help everyone- from a rabid dog to a fallen baby pigeon and even a drunken man on the street!
I love them! They keep me on my toes, I try in vain to take my quick naps in the afternoon or to avoid a game of football or cricket, saying its a boys’ game. But they are quick to reply –“ mamma you said, boys and girls are equal, its everybody’s game, so come and play”. And recently while playing the “equals” game of cricket ,I tried to be so like the boys, and sprained my ankle badly. As I fell the boys left everything and ran to me and trust their father to keep taking his runs between the wickets, shouting “She’ll get up, she’ll get up”!
They are growing up so fast. Adi will be thirteen in a week’s time. That boy is a gentle soul, always worried about the world not being kind, not being fair, not helping the poor enough; and if he had it in him he would do it all. He questions all that is wrong. Once he asked his father why he had  a glass of ‘ganda pani’(rum) in the car while driving. He asks me why I don’t give money to the beggar boy at the traffic signal, when I have extra money and it clearly looks like he needs it. He didn’t want me to kill the seven rats we caught in our house as we had enough food for them as well. For him the world’s problem is his problem and he needs to solve it, and may be in time he will solve it!
Aaru is eight, but talks like he is fifteen and thinks like he 30. He wants to know everything now and just now....he waits for nothing and no one. He is a ‘bindaas’ lad, carefree , naughty and gets into trouble( reminds me of me), but he can get out of any tricky situation with just a smile( and some people would again say... he is a lot like me). Unlike Adi, he wants the world to worry about him. He can lie unabashedly and can surprise you with his uncanny ability to stay calm and composed.
They are a part of me, a little like me and a whole lot different. Adi is the idli, dosa, rice plate eater from Tambiland. He talks less, works more. He is always thinking and I never know what he is thinking. He cooks well(a treat for his future ladies), and he makes some amazing things with anything waste. He is old school and a little conservative in his thoughts... would have been a perfect fit in India 70 yrs ago. I foresee a clash of thoughts and ideas between him and me in the future but for now we are good. Since he is still my little boy, I have started talking to him lately about a concept of ‘learning to unlearn’( a thought shared by a good friend of mine), so he is open to change and to evolve.
Aaru – the ‘Punjab Da Puttar’, loves his alu paratha, malai chicken and palak paneer. He is a ‘jolly good fellow’ , witty and always up to his pranks. He is a charmer and will woo his ladies with his looks and sense of humour. I was recently amazed by his Punjabi accent as he learnt the famous “Sunder mundariya”(a folk song sung on lohri, a tradition dying with the new generation). He sung those lines and it made his grandparents so happy and proud. He is a people pleaser and wants to make everyone happy around him. He wants to become a cricketer ( a bowler at that)when he grows up, and why not; he has got the looks and the attitude for it, aptitude shall sneak in soon!

They will grow up soon, leave home, carve a niche for themselves. I will crib and throw a fit when I grow old and don’t see them enough. But for now they are around me, with me, for me – laughing , playing , learning.... and one day I am sure they will grow up to be “Gentle” men.

No comments:

Post a Comment